Re: Debian Perl Packagers' Wishlist

-=| Jonathan Yu, Sat, May 08, 2010 at 08:45:30AM -0400 |=-
> On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 1:54 AM, Damyan Ivanov <dmn@debian.org>
> wrote:
> >  * M:I code is copied in every dist that uses it. we have already
> >   suffered by a bug that has spread over several packages. Code
> >   duplication is bad.
>
> I think this is fair, and a situation we should work with upstream
> module authors to correct. I think this doesn't affect most authors
> because they release their packages quite frequently, and still
> consider CPAN (and the cpan shell, cpanminus, etc) to be the "de
> facto" way of getting Perl modules. I've been trying to convince
> upstream and have had some limited success there.
>
> Moving forward, I don't see too many regressions in Module::Install
> being problematic, but we can always clean inc/Module/Install.pm and
> inc/Module/Install/* before installation, and engage author mode to
> recreate those things. But I don't know if M::I is actually designed
> to always be backward compatible or not.

IIRC, the reson to copy M::I in the dist is exactly to avoid
maintaining compatibility. (and perhaps save the hassle of installing
M::I off CPAN, if it is a hassle) Note I am greatly biased being
a heavy Debian user.

Additionaly, cleaning before building is not enough. Since inc/ will
be present in the .orig.tar.gz, it must be also covered by
debian/copyright. The only way to avoid that is to repackage (hundreds
of packages :/ ).

> >  * the code that is copied in the distribution lacks any
> >   copyright/licensing information. We have to *guess*, which is never
> >   good; authors may have put their work inder inc/ too.
>
> I think it applies more to work put under inc/Module/Install; ie, M::I
> plugins. Otherwise the information on the copyright.pod page that I
> maintain seems to cover most things (and where they don't, people
> should feel free to add more!)

copyright.pod is indeed a useful workaround.

> I don't think this message is overly emotional, you make some cogent
> arguments [...]

Hopefuly.

> In summary:
>
> I will try to refine these points down and add them to the wishlist.

Thanks a lot!

> I think the second part is definitely a problem and will be
> acknowledged and fixed by Module::Install; the first part shouldn't
> be an issue if M::I maintainers can be perfect and totally avoid
> regressions...

This is hard, but debhelper's way of making incompatible changes can
always be used.