Re: libmodern-perl-perl vs libmodern-perl

-=| Jonathan Yu, Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 10:20:22AM -0400 |=-
> Perhaps Damyan Ivanov is better equipped to address this, as he does
> most of the work on dh-make-perl, but:
>
> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 2:28 AM, Ivan Kohler <ivan-debian@420.am> wrote:
> > Sorry about that.  dh-make-perl and I totally missed libmodern-perl as a
> > result of the odd package name.
> I believe dh-make-perl's locate command uses apt-file, which is able
> to find packages regardless of what Debian package they are put into.

    $ dh-make-perl locate Modern::Perl
    Using cached Contents from Mon Apr  5 11:31:55 2010
    Modern::Perl is in libmodern-perl package

Of course, this requires that some one already run 'apt-file update'
after libmodern-perl has entered the archive.

> Perhaps we can add a feature to try a locate before building
> packages,
> to say "hey, this package is already available in libblah-blah-perl"
> -- if I recall correctly, it already does something similar when you
> try to build a package for something available in Perl core.

There is a similar check on package name (not module) level. TODO
added. Patches welcome :)

> I'm just trying to work out how we should best proceed to reduce
> similar confusion in the future.

This is easy: everyone should use dh-make-perl and work within the
Debian Perl Group (a.k.a. world domination) :)