Re: Removing packages from SVN

On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 19:43:31 +0000, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:

> > This is a fair point. However, I think it does add some clutter to the
> > branches. The current practice seems to be:
> > 1. If a package was never uploaded, remove it completely
> > 2. If a package was uploaded before, move it out of the main trunk/
> > and branches/ and tags/ into its own attic/ directory. Then we can
> > restore stuff from there if it later becomes necessary, but it's out
> > of the way for those that check out upstream branches.

Ack.

> > I have no strong feelings either way, but in general I think it's more
> > consistent if, ie, something is in branches/upstream or tags, it's
> > also in trunk (so as to be easy to find).

I also like this approach for consistency but if others prefer to
keep the tags/ and branches/ directories I don't object.

> > What advantage would your technique have over the status quo, that is,
> > moving all the stuff into attic/?
> I think Ansgar expressed that pretty well already. We need to be able
> to support package uploads based on stable and oldstable as well as
> unstable, so it makes no sense to me to move these to an attic

I agree in general, but I can't remember an upload to
(old)stable-p-u for removed packages, so this seems a bit of a
corner case.

> It's actually less consistent, not more, if, in order to update stable
> or oldstable, you can't just go to the relevant tags directory and find
> the relevant release straight off, but might also have to go searching
> in attic/.

If this is the general feeling I'm fine to change our approach.

 .''`.   http://info.comodo.priv.at/ -- GPG Key IDs: 0x00F3CFE4, 0x8649AA06
   `-    NP: Funny Van Dannen: Herzen fliegen Dir zu