Re: Removing packages from SVN

Ansgar,

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@43-1.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when packages are removed from our SVN repository, we currently remove
> it not only from trunk/, but also from branches/upstream/ and tags/.
> I do think this is not a good idea for packages we did upload:
> we might need to prepare an upload to stable at a later point, but it is
> no longer tagged in the SVN. Also I don't like removing history.
>
> For this reason I propose to only remove packages from trunk/ in
> general.  For packages that we did never upload (ie. packages that were
> never finished), I see no problem in removing it completely.

This is a fair point. However, I think it does add some clutter to the
branches. The current practice seems to be:
1. If a package was never uploaded, remove it completely
2. If a package was uploaded before, move it out of the main trunk/
and branches/ and tags/ into its own attic/ directory. Then we can
restore stuff from there if it later becomes necessary, but it's out
of the way for those that check out upstream branches.

I have no strong feelings either way, but in general I think it's more
consistent if, ie, something is in branches/upstream or tags, it's
also in trunk (so as to be easy to find).

What advantage would your technique have over the status quo, that is,
moving all the stuff into attic/?