Re: Article in The Perl Review

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 16:35:58 +0100, Damyan Ivanov <dmn@debian.org> wrote:

-=| Jonathan Yu, Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 04:50:22PM -0500 |=-

My impression so far is that packaging for Debian is probably a lot
easier than it appears to someone who has had no experience doing it.
However, so far, I haven't had a lot of time on my hands and the only
documents I have read, things that gregoa suggested, like Debian
policy documents.. are pretty darn scary.

If you ask me, creating .deb files from CPAN distributions is very
easy. Fire up 'dh-make-perl --cpan Foo::Bar --build' and you are done.
Doesn't work if dependencies are missing, but --recursive is in the
TODO[1] :)

    [1] and patches are warmly welcome. see also
    http://bugs.debian.org/342751

I think the article is a good start, great contribution, but I agree with some of the points of Jonathan.

Also, about patching dh-make-perl, has anyone added support for parsing META.yml and being able to provide --name 'libsome-different-name-perl' at the command line? I have added this for my own dh-make-perl (well I actually haven't integrated the META-yml parsing inside it, just a separate command that outputs debian-style names of dependecies)

Where to submit if not?