Re: Article in The Perl Review

Jeremiah:

I just wanted to say THANK YOU on behalf of (probably a substantial
amount of) CPAN developers that want to ensure their modules are
easily repackageable for Debian but are unsure where to begin.

I haven't read the article yet, but will be reading it to learn about
module packaging (thankfully I don't have to read the Debian Policy as
was suggested to me, not *just* yet anyway, it's a rather large and
unwieldy document).

My impression so far is that packaging for Debian is probably a lot
easier than it appears to someone who has had no experience doing it.
However, so far, I haven't had a lot of time on my hands and the only
documents I have read, things that gregoa suggested, like Debian
policy documents.. are pretty darn scary.

So indeed an article like this is very much needed.

Thanks to you and all the great work the rest of the pkg-perl team is
doing for Debian. Hopefully when school settles down a bit and I have
some more free time, I can begin contributing by packaging some of my
own modules (though one of them, Test::DistManifest, may well be
packaged by then, as part of packaging for Test::Apocalypse) :-)

Cheers,

Jonathan