Re: Some explanations about dh_config_model_upgrade

On Friday 27 November 2009 02:23:30 Paul Wise wrote:
> I expect that there are many non-standard configuration formats in the
> archive, it might be a good idea to point people at documentation on
> how to write new configuration models (if such docs exist).

Docs are still lacking in English. There's a good article in French LinuxMag.

I'm also preparing a presentation for an internal HP conference. Hopefully,
I'll be able to provide a video of this prez (in English, albeit with a French
accent ;-) )

But you're right, I'll add pointers to whatever exists on this (home page,
Debian wiki and others...)

> It would be a good idea to promote using Config::Model in other FOSS
> distributions as well, I imagine at least Fedora and perhaps Gentoo
> will be interested.

Sure, but I'm working on Config::Model on spare time. There's only so much I
can do by myself. Help is welcome there.

Config::Model packages are being prepared for Fedora and are done for
Mandriva. Once Debian package upgrade proposal is in good shape, I'll push it
on Augeas mailing list. These guys are focused on configuration problems and
this proposal should raise some interest.

> How does this integrate with debhelper 7 dh rules.tiny BTW? A snippet
> of what to put in debian/rules for that would be nice.

I forgot this one. It's as simple as "dh --with config_model". I'll mention
this.

> Same for CDBS,
> that still gets used and preferred by some.

CDBS... right... This one still puzzles me :-p I'll have a look later, but I
secretly hope that someone will beat me to it.

> I imagine Manoj will want
> to use this too, so some sort of documentation for non-debhelper
> packages would be useful too.

Manoj is interested for sendmail (!). I do not know sendmail enough to create
a model (or even to know if creating a model for sendmail is possible)

> I think you can ignore yada and any
> other packaging systems.

ok.

> I have to say, this is a bloody awesome idea

Thanks :-D

> and I would really
> suggest that you present a talk about it at DebConf10. As an example,
> seeing the debhelper 7 talk at DebConf9 really made me "see the light"
> and I've switched to it for several packages since then. In the same
> thread, I'd suggest presentations at the LCA 2010 Distributions
> miniconf, UDS (Ubuntu), FUDCON (Fedora/RedHat) and any other
> distribution related conferences you can think of. The LCA 2010
> Distributions miniconf CFP is expired, but they recently sent an
> announcement that some people had to pull out, so you may be able to
> get a talk in, please contact Martin Krafft about it.

I agree that presenting Config::Model at conference is important. As gregoa
suggested, I'll probably go to Fosdem. Attending to other conf in the States
or New Zealand is more challenging. I'll think about Debconf10, but given the
current changes in my life (new house and looking for a job), I would be
surprised to be able to attend.

Dominique
--
http://config-model.wiki.sourceforge.net/ -o- http://search.cpan.org/~ddumont/