Re: LEOCHARRE:: modules and Wordpress::XMLRPC

Dominique:

Thanks for your insights!

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 6:36 AM, Dominique Dumont <domi.dumont@free.fr> wrote:
> Le samedi 21 novembre 2009 19:04:36, Jonathan Yu a écrit :
>> What I am proposing is that we create a libleocharre-perl (better
>> names welcome) and bundle all the LEOCHARRE:: stuff in there. That
>> way, we'd be able to update Wordpress::XMLRPC without hurting the
>> reusability of the LEOCHARRE stuff, but keeping in mind that these
>> modules aren't likely to be used on their own (just as dependencies of
>> LeoCharre's stuff).
>>
>> Thoughts all?
>
> From a maintenance point of view, this is not good:
>
> - These module are not registered in CPAN name space (The LEOCHARRE:: name
> space would never be accepted).

I don't think this really matters anyway; these days few people use
the CPAN module registration/module list thing. Most modules are
"first-come" (meaning whoever uploads something with that module
namespace gets it -- note, though, he doesn't own the entire
LEOCHARRE* namespace; but it's doubtful anyone else would care to use
it).

> - the subs in LEOCHARRE::CLI are declared in 'main' namespace with
> declarations like: sub main::whoami {} or main::debug{}. Even variables
> commonly used in scripts may be clobbered: $main::DEBUG = 0 and
> $main::USAGE
This is particularly insightful. I clearly hadn't looked at the code
yet, so I'm not sure what we can do about this. Maybe it would be
better if we just patched Wordpress::XMLRPC to include the relevant
code -- though maintaining that could be a nightmare too.