Re: CPAN Meta Specification and debian perl

I haven't seen activity from the Debian Perl Group on this yet. I have
myself commented a bit from what I know, namely with respect to the
future of recommended modules (from the Perl META.yml). I am
interested in ensuring congruency between what we consider
Recommends/Suggests and what Upstream considers to be the usef or
those.

It's important to get involvement from vendors (looking at you Debian)
about what the Perl community can do to make it easier to package
things.

While not technically a specification (not everything in the proposals
will be implemented), this contains a lot of ideas for the directions
some people want to go. It's important to solicit the opinions of many
on the current proposals to determine what the community generally
considers important/useful.

Another important place that discussion will probably take place is
irc.perl.org #toolchain -- it's a channel with the goal of ensuring
coordination between all the various Perl toolchains (Module::Build,
Module::Install, Dist::Zilla [technically not a toolchain in itself]
and, to a lesser extent, ExtUtils::MakeMaker). These are the people
who want to hear what Debian has to say -- as some of the most
prominent Perl software developers, they need to know what problems we
face and what would help the group with packaging.