Re: Mailing list for messages from launchpad

Nathan:

Personally I see having a separate mailing list as a nicer way to
filter messages cleanly. For example some people (like me) may want to
treat e-mails from Launchpad with a lower priority than those filed
through Debian's BTS. Others may want the opposite, and instead prefer
to hack on Ubuntu bugs rather than the Debian ones.

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 2:37 PM, Nathan Handler<nhandler@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Ansgar Burchardt<ansgar@2008.43-1.org> wrote:
>> If there is enough interest, I would ask the Alioth admins to create
>> pkg-perl-ubuntu@l.a.d.o and one of the admins for the Perl team on
>> launchpad to set this as the team's mailing list.  As far as I know this
>> should be enough to redirect all bug traffic to the mailing list.
>
> When the team was created on Launchpad, I did think about requesting a
> mailing list. I decided not to because the whole point of joining the
> Launchpad team is to receive the bug mail. Filtering mail from
> Launchpad can still be done quite easily in most mail clients even
> without it coming from a Launchpad mailing list. The only valid reason
> I see to create a mailing list for this team is to have an archive.
> However, I am not quite sure how many people would actually find
> having an archive of bug mail notification emails useful. I know I
> personally would prefer to search through my emails than through the
> mailing list archive.

While it might be relatively easy to do the filtering, I think having
a separate mailing list is of minimal cost.

I'm not sure what the standard way of filing bugs is for Ubuntu, but
maybe if we have a separate maintainer contact for Ubuntu pkg-perl
packages, then those that e-mail that address, we will know are
inquiring about a Ubuntu package, in case they mail the Maintainer
contact directly and do not note which OS/version they're using.

> If we do want to have a list, do we want it to be on alioth of through
> Launchpad. Launchpad mailing lists are fairly easy to have created for
> Launchpad teams.
I understand you're a Ubuntu Developer, so I trust that you know what
is most appropriate from a Ubuntu point of view. Whether we create an
alioth or Launchpad mailing list doesn't matter to me, as long as we
have a reliable mailing list we can use for Ubuntu Perl packages.

I have not spent much time with Ubuntu at all and am unsure what their
standards are for things...