Re: please advice package names for padre plugins

On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 08:26:25AM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:

> Or more difficult if you expect it to follow the perl policy. [It also
> means that you have to special case padre plugin dependencies when
> you're looking for them.]

following perl policy isn't a reason to do something imo. perl policy
is (correctly) not followed in some other situations. and one time I
followed this part of perl policy and later (after it was uploaded,
oops, that will be a mess to clean up, if I ever do..) got told I was
wrong. I don't want to make that mistake again, so I no longer
strictly follow this part of perl policy. wrt special casing looking
for depends, no need to do that, dh-make-perl does this all
automatically for us. and I expect that nothing will ever depend on a
padre plugin anyway. the padre-plugin-* package naming form makes much
more sense imho, and it looks better. a user would probably think it's
strange to install libpadre-plugin-foo-perl, and that package name
makes no sense (other than "because perl policy says to do that",
which most users won't even know about). for normal cpan dists, it
does make sense.

--
Ryan Niebur