Re: introduction email

On Jan 28, 2009, at 10:16 AM, Antonio Radici wrote:

Hi all,
first of all I'm sorry for the generic subject but I wasn't
able to find anything different, it's early morning after
all :-)

Fair enough. :^)  Welcome to the group!

Around a month ago I started contributing to the Debian project,
my first contribution was reading tons of documentation, which
seems a pre-requisite to understand how things work, every word
had its own documentation... difficult times...

Always lots to read, but hopefully you'll write too! The wiki needs every conceivable form of writing help, even if it has lots of great stuff already.

Then I started adopting one or two packages from wnpp and proposing
them to mentors, one of my package was also uploaded to sid! (Ok, I
know that you co-maintain a lot of packages, but please understand :-) )

It is still a thrill getting stuff into debian - I never tire of it.

Daily job, I work as systems engineer, that involves a good deal of
perl and C programming, two languages that I like; additionally
I'm also part of dyne.org and with other guys we write software, do
OSS speeches and other things which probably are not important for the
purpose of this mail

Ah, but they are important for the Free Software ecosystem, good stuff.

How can I contribute? Probably creating packages and fixing bugs are two
things where I don't feel weak, if there are troubles I've found IRC
(#debian-mentors in my case) really helpful), so I can probably contribute
effectively.

I have started a wiki page, which I hope to turn into an article, on perl bug fixing in debian. If you have any tricks or tips, feel free to add them. http://wiki.debian.org/PerlBugSquashing The page is a bit chaotic right now since it is undergoing significant revision, but if you have anything to add simply stick it somewhere and I will try to integrate it. Also, if you have a special topic/area of perl that you like to write about, let me know. I have the ear of the publisher of The Perl Review and he (brian d. foy) hopes to do a debian issue at some point, so get your typing gloves on!

Welcome again, and warm regards,

Jeremiah