Re: Debian Perl Group meeting at DebCamp - 2008-08-06

-=| Jeremiah C. Foster, Sat, Sep 06, 2008 at 12:26:59PM +0200 |=-
> > On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 18:01:21 -0300, gregor herrmann wrote:
> Now I know this is a lot of extra work, moving internal debian tools
> like dh-make-perl to CPAN, but I think it would be hugely useful.
>
> Why? Because;
>
> 1. Perl hackers would get tools to build debs that are built by
> people who follow debian perl policy automatically increasing their
> quality.

I thnk you overestimate the work done by dh-make-perl a bit :)
Yes, it does a lot of boring work automaticaly, and this is very good
thing, no doubt. However, I often find out that the  real work starts
just after dh-make-perl has created the skeleton - license checks,
build problems, Policy compliance, etc, etc

Even if I don't understand the benefit of havinng all CPAN mass-built
as .debs, it seems people want that and if they find dh-make-perl
useful for this, be our guests :)

> 2. Very useful debian tools would get polish and additional code from
> some smart perl hackers.

Yeah. dh-make-perl needs some retought/redesign/rewrite as it doesn't
look very good inside. Reminds me a famous Italian meal :)a  I confess
I have my part of the blame for this.

> 3. Documentation would have to be improved by default because of
> increased public consumption. (Or that is the hope anyway. :) )
>
> Can we move some of the dh-make-perl stuff to CPAN? I am willing to
> do the work, or at least some of it.

I am not sure I fully understand what you mean. I am used to think of
CPAN as a place where 'upstream authors' work. And as I prefer to have
the group as 'upstream' for dh-make-perl, I am confused.

> > > Bugs
> > > ----
> > > * We have many old minor bugs open, we need somebody to triage them.
> >
> > Yes.
>
> I have been thinking about writing some documentation regarding
> this, especially after reading emails sent by ntyni (as well as dam,
> gregoa, gwolf, djpig, et. al.) and being amazed at their ability to
> locate the source of what appear to me to be really complex
> problems. Would you guys be willing to have me "interview" you
> via email regarding the triage process so I can create
> a more "entry-level" document for those of us who do not have your
> gifts?

That would be interesting to have.