Re: Debian Perl Group meeting at DebCamp - 2008-08-06

Damyan Ivanov dijo [Sat, Sep 06, 2008 at 06:31:59PM +0300]:
> > 1. Perl hackers would get tools to build debs that are built by
> > people who follow debian perl policy automatically increasing their
> > quality.
>
> I thnk you overestimate the work done by dh-make-perl a bit :)
> Yes, it does a lot of boring work automaticaly, and this is very good
> thing, no doubt. However, I often find out that the  real work starts
> just after dh-make-perl has created the skeleton - license checks,
> build problems, Policy compliance, etc, etc
>
> Even if I don't understand the benefit of havinng all CPAN mass-built
> as .debs, it seems people want that and if they find dh-make-perl
> useful for this, be our guests :)

Remember dh-make-perl originally aimed at creating .deb packages for
local use - it is a mere twist of destiny we adopted it ;-)

> > 2. Very useful debian tools would get polish and additional code from
> > some smart perl hackers.
>
> Yeah. dh-make-perl needs some retought/redesign/rewrite as it doesn't
> look very good inside. Reminds me a famous Italian meal :)a  I confess
> I have my part of the blame for this.

"Mal de muchos, consuelo de tontos", we say. Roughly, "The fact that
many people suffer from your own illness will only confort you if you
are a fool" ;-) But we all share that blame.

> > 3. Documentation would have to be improved by default because of
> > increased public consumption. (Or that is the hope anyway. :) )
> >
> > Can we move some of the dh-make-perl stuff to CPAN? I am willing to
> > do the work, or at least some of it.
>
> I am not sure I fully understand what you mean. I am used to think of
> CPAN as a place where 'upstream authors' work. And as I prefer to have
> the group as 'upstream' for dh-make-perl, I am confused.

Maybe some CPAN people want to make .deb packages from their code,
even if they don't use Debian (or derivatives) themselves, for their
users?

But yes, CPAN is -as our group is- a repository of modules. It does
have some tools, but that use is long deprecated.

> > I have been thinking about writing some documentation regarding
> > this, especially after reading emails sent by ntyni (as well as dam,
> > gregoa, gwolf, djpig, et. al.) and being amazed at their ability to
> > locate the source of what appear to me to be really complex
> > problems. Would you guys be willing to have me "interview" you
> > via email regarding the triage process so I can create
> > a more "entry-level" document for those of us who do not have your
> > gifts?
>
> That would be interesting to have.

+1.

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23