Re: Making Perl Debian modules for lazy people?

On Dec 3, 2008, at 2:34 AM, Paul Fenwick wrote:

G'day Debian Perl,

G'day to you sir!

  However, as far as I know, there aren't any "official" Debian
packages for these modules.

I'd love to fix this situation, and that's where I'm hoping the debian-perl list may be able to help. Firstly, I wanted to check that the Debian Perl
Policy at:

	http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/perl-policy/

is still current, and what I should be using.

Yes. Any questions or clarifications can be done on the mailing list here or on IRC. That is the canonical document and is kept pretty up- to-date.

Secondly, and more importantly for me, I've noticed that the debian- perl
group seems to ask a lot of "May I maintain X?" questions.

That is generally done as a courtesy. It is considered rude to steal a package out from under someone else who is maintaining it. Although with the perl group we all maintain what is in the repo so one can just dig in and get to work on whatever is there. The "May I maintain?" question is usually for maintainer of perl packages that need care but have not necessarily received them recently.

 If it's a
general goal of the group to package more modules, can I self-promote
autodie (of which I'm the author) as a candidate?

This can be an effective method. :)

I can offer upstream support, public thank-yous, ohloh kudos, speedy
resolution of bugs, and general goodwill in return.

These things are incredibly valuable! No one wants to package bit- rotted software.

Both autodie and
IPC::System::Simple are pure-Perl, and try to make things as easy as
possible for dh-make-perl to figure things out, so I hope they'll be
low-hanging fruit in terms of packaging support.

Sounds good. I'll go have a look and see if this is something I can do.

Warm regards,

Jeremiah