Re: Debian Perl Group meeting at DebCamp - 2008-08-06

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 17:07:43 -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:

> > > debian/copyright
> > > ----------------
> > > * The group is no legal entity and therefore cannot be the copyright
> > >   holder.
> > > * "The superset of the module license and the Perl license" seems
> > >   like a good default licensing for debian/*.
> > > * Create a boilerplate that refers to changelog for the contributors.
> > That needs to be created. Maybe someone who speaks en_LEGAL can
> > propose a nice wording for "Files: debian/*\nCopyright: $foo\n
> > License: $bar"?
> In dh-make-perl, line 1183 (SVN rev 25035):
[..]
> As we agreed beforehand ;-)

Right, my comment about what's still missing is the third bullet
point :)
(I.e. the reference to all contributors from d/changelog; not an
issue for new packages, where $maintainer is just fine, but in case
of recreation)

> > > * We change dh-make-perl to output the new format.
> > Gunnar has started to work on automatically creating a
> > debian/copyright file in dh-make-perl. I think it still needs a bit
> > more polishing; and I've included the copyright-creation in the
> > --refresh option, together with backup files.
> > So dh-make-perl is a bit "under construction" at the moment :)
> Well, IMHO it works nicely as it is now.

I've made a small change a few days ago, because until now the
copyright file was a bit incomplete if no upstream copyright was
detected.
Now it outputs an empty skeleton for upstream and a stanza about
debian/*.

Improvements welcome!

And we might sill want to discuss if my changes about copyright
recreation on refresh and making .bak files are really wanted.

> Of course, heuristics can be
> added to detect other licenses (and proper blurbs should be written,
> of course). See lines 1081-1130. We currently output valid copyright
> files AFAICT; the supported/detected licenses are GPL (any/2/2+/3/3+),
> Artistic and 'unparsable'. I didn't add BSDesque licenses on purpose,
> as they are not usually template licenses (i.e. they have to be
> modified with your/your program's name)... but it is surely doable.

I think that's fine the way it is.

 : :' :  debian gnu/linux user, admin & developer - http://www.debian.org/
   `-    NP: Mink De Ville: Spanish Stroll