Re: Testing cpan2dist and the phalanx 100

> Hey jeremiah,

Jos! =)

> On 29 Aug 2008, at 16:35, Jeremiah C. Foster wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Because of the naming conventions, or perhaps lack thereof, the
> > process of determining what is in debian is not easily
> > automated. Roughly 10 to 20 CPAN modules from the phalanx 100 have
> > names in debian that do not correspond to the naming convention of
> > libfoo-bar-perl.
>
> If we can fix our naming convention in c::d::deb, i'd be all for that.
> unfortunately, some of them seem to be arbitrarily named. Of course, we
> can special case some of hte 'known' ones by saying something like:

I am afraid we will have to live with the convention
libfoo-bar-perl. Earlier debian perl packages didn't follow this, but
there are not that many of them.

> > E: Unable to locate package libdbd-oracle-perl
> >    # Not open source?
> >
> > E: Unable to locate package libdbd-db2-perl
> >    # Not open source?
>
> Very likely; all of these need at least some c-libs
> or header files to build, and those may very well conflict
> with debian packaging policy. Best to individually check
> them of course.

Yes, these are most likely closed source.

> > E: Unable to locate package libmath-pari-perl
> >    # Cannot find this in debian
>
> this one also requires c-libraries. May be same issue as
> above, or simply not popular enough.

This one too has licensing problems.

> > E: Unable to locate package libio-perl
> >    # no, but debian does have libio-all
>
> the module 'IO' is core, and has been for ages, with
> very little changes to it. This module is probably
> either in perl-base or perl-modules.

In perl-modules.

> >  E: Unable to locate package libmail-clamav-perl
> >    # no, but debian does have libclamav-client-perl
>
> It's probably the typical 'foo-client, foo-server, foo,
> libfoo' etc problem.. this is probably just a naming issue.
>
> > E: Unable to locate package libapache-test-perl
> >    # Cannot find this in debian

In mod_perl module it turns out.

> > E: Unable to locate package libexcel-template-perl
> >    # Cannot find this in debian

Needs to be packaged for debian, although we have lots of similar packages.

> That's all i got from the top of my head,

I'll have more for you soon, lots of testing going on. ;)

There is not a one-to-one correlation with cpan2dist and the
Phalanx100. How do you chose which modules to package? Also, I
thought the automated packaging script was run from cron nightly, but
the packages appear old, older than packages in debian.

I will forward testing results when I have some more concrete data.

  Jeremiah