Re: advice on package containing both .pm & .pl

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 12:15:14PM +0000, Julian Mehnle wrote:
> Out of curiosity: why is Buffy::CLI not on CPAN?  Publishing to CPAN is
> pretty easy.

Well, really because it depends on something external that's generated from
swig.. and also because of the next reason, which is...

> I think which one of the two is best in your case depends on whether
> Buffy::CLI is currently, or will be in the foreseeable future, used by
> any programs or Perl modules _besides_ the one script you mentioned?

No, I don't think so.  They're really very tied together and in fact I did
actually consider just bundling it all in one file although that offends
me.  I really don't see that the module is useful without the script.

Also buffy and libbuffy and the various swig created bindings are written
by Enrico Zini and in Debian but I'm not sure if they're even used anywhere
else... and buffycli is less likely to be .. so.

Also presumably if that started to be the case, I could keep the script
packaged with the same name and move the library out and into
libbuffy-cli-perl or whatever and depend on it then.

> If your module is used by pretty much only your script, then I'd just
> create a single package with the script in /usr/bin and the module
> in /usr/share/${pkgname}/lib/Buffy/CLI.pm, and have your script say
> [...]

Thanks. That's what I'll do, & I'll check out your package for the example.

Penny

--
Penny Leach | http://she.geek.nz | http://mjollnir.org