Re: advice on package containing both .pm & .pl

-=| Penny Leach, Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 11:56:49AM +0100 |=-
> [please cc me, I'm not subscribed]

> I'm packaging buffycli, which is a text mode alternative to buffy.
> It is comprised of one perl module Buffy::CLI, and one script.  It
> depends on libbuffy-perl which is built from swig (and somewhat a
> black box as far as I'm concerned)
>
> buffycli is not on cpan and I am the upstream author.
>
> I've changed my mind 6 times about the best way to package this.  The perl
> policy is helpful about how to package perl modules, and how to package
> scripts, but I can't see clearly what to do if there are both.
>
> As I see it, there are two options:
>
> 1. create two packages, one libbuffy-cli-perl which just contains the perl
> module and I can build pretty easily with dh-make-perl, and the other
> package containing the script itself, which depends on the first package

This would clearly be the way if there are other packages that would
need libbuffy-cli-perl

> 2. build one package and don't do the pm the normal way, but just
> install the script into /usr/bin, and the module into
> /usr/share/perl5/

I'd do this, unless the above condition is met.

What do you mean by "don't do the pm the normal way"? I think you
could easily use the skeleton generated by dh-make-perl in both cases.

There's also a third option, integrate Buffy::CLI and buffycli into
swig.