Re: package name clash for Text::CSV_XS and Text::CSV

-=| Vincent Danjean, Sun, May 18, 2008 at 08:32:20PM +0200 |=-
> Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> > -=| Vincent Danjean, Sun, May 18, 2008 at 06:23:09PM +0200 |=-
> >>   Looking after Koha dependencies, I saw on the Koha ML that
> >> Text::CSV_XS AND Text::CSV are needed.
> >> Looking in Debian, I see libtext-csv-perl but it seems correspond to
> >> Text::CSV_XS (but the manpage added by the DD that it called Text::CSV.3pm)
> >
> > libtext-csv-perl contains Text::CSV_XS, yes. But it also contains a
> > dummy wrapper named Text::CSV. So you get both modules in one package.
> >
> >> The best would be to endup in :
> >> Text::CSV packaged in libtext-csv-perl
> >> Text::CSV_XS packaged in libtext-csv-xs-perl with its manpage renamed
> >> in Text::CSV_XS.3pm
> >
> > Is there some functionality in Text::CSV that is not preent in
> > Text::CSV_XS?
>
> I do not know anything about Text::CSV nor Text::CSV_XS. All I can say
> (looking at libtext-csv-perl) is that Text::CSV_XS handling Text::CSV
> is a Debian specific part.

Yes, in response to #176578.

> The upstream author says that both interfaces should be compatible. But
> Text::CSV is not present in upstream.

Hmm. The log of the above bug claims that Text::CSV is 'ancient'. This
no longer seems to be the case:
http://search.cpan.org/src/MAKAMAKA/Text-CSV-1.05/Changes

There is also Text::CSV_PP (a pure-perl implementation) and current
Text::CSV from CPAN is a front-end to both.

Perhaps a rename is in order, even if the only visible gain is package
namespace sanity?

What do others think? Keep in mind I can't lead such a transition
myself :)