Re: package name clash for Text::CSV_XS and Text::CSV

Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> -=| Vincent Danjean, Sun, May 18, 2008 at 06:23:09PM +0200 |=-
>>   Looking after Koha dependencies, I saw on the Koha ML that
>> Text::CSV_XS AND Text::CSV are needed.
>> Looking in Debian, I see libtext-csv-perl but it seems correspond to
>> Text::CSV_XS (but the manpage added by the DD that it called Text::CSV.3pm)
>
> libtext-csv-perl contains Text::CSV_XS, yes. But it also contains a
> dummy wrapper named Text::CSV. So you get both modules in one package.
>
>> The best would be to endup in :
>> Text::CSV packaged in libtext-csv-perl
>> Text::CSV_XS packaged in libtext-csv-xs-perl with its manpage renamed
>> in Text::CSV_XS.3pm
>
> Is there some functionality in Text::CSV that is not preent in
> Text::CSV_XS?

I do not know anything about Text::CSV nor Text::CSV_XS. All I can say
(looking at libtext-csv-perl) is that Text::CSV_XS handling Text::CSV
is a Debian specific part.
The upstream author says that both interfaces should be compatible. But
Text::CSV is not present in upstream.

cpan Text::CSV handles Text::CSV_XS. For example, it prints:
"If you install Text::CSV_XS v.0.43, it makes Text::CSV faster."

We can decided for debian to only package Text::CSV_XS and provide as
a patch a compatibility layer (I've no opinion here). But in this case,
this should be printed in a README.Debian or similar file.

On a second hand, as Text::CSV_XS is a rewrite (in C) of the pure
Text::CSV, we can also come back to upstream, package both for lenny
with Text::CSV recommands Text::CSV_XS.

I will follow any user/developer expressing an opinion : as both seems
to implement the same thing (optimized or not), I do not thing that Koha
will have any problem using current debian version of Text::CSV_XS (ie patched)
or cpan versions of Text::CSV_XS and Text::CSV

  Best regards,
    Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0x9D025E87         vdanjean@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: FC95 08A6 854D DB48 4B9A  8A94 0BF7 7867 9D02 5E87