Re: libgtk2-imageview-perl

-=| Jeffrey Ratcliffe, Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 10:13:35PM +0200 |=-
> On 29/03/2008, Damyan Ivanov <dmn@debian.org> wrote:
> >   the dh_installexamples could use some arguents if you want it to do
> >   something.
>
> Removed.

Hm, why? You said there is some interesting demo there. Better do
something like:

    dh_installexamples examples/*

> >  when building the package there are numerous warnings like:
> >
> >   dpkg-shlibdeps: warning:
> >   debian/libgtk2-imageview-perl/usr/lib/perl5/auto/Gtk2/ImageView/ImageView.so
> >   shouldn't be linked with libgmodule-2.0.so.0 (it uses none of its
> >   symbols).
>
> pdebuild no longer gets this far, as the tests fail as there is no X.

(BTW, better use "$(MAKE) test" instead of "make test")

> How do I test for pdebuild in rules to stop it running the tests? Or I
> could check for pdebuild in the test itself and simply skip them. Is
> there a standard preferred method?

Did you try xvfb? It is a virtual, in-memory X server that runs without
any video hardware.

Checking for a distribution-specific thing is not good. What if someone
builds the package on, say, Gentoo or NetBSD? If you really need to
check for something, check for available X display, for example via the
DISPLAY environment variable.

I still think that running the tests under xvfb is worth a try.

> >  Since you're also upstream, consider limiting -lxxx options when linking
> >  the package so that no spurious dependencies are created.
>
> I get:
>
> -lgtkimageview -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0
> -lm -lpangocairo-1.0 -lfontconfig -lXext -lXrender -lXinerama -lXi
> -lXrandr -lXcursor -lXcomposite -lXdamage -lpango-1.0 -lcairo -lX11
> -lXfixes -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0 -lgthread-2.0
> -lrt

Where does this come from?

> Apart from the first, which is obviously needed, I think these are all
> dependencies of Gtk2-Perl or Glib-Perl.

Dynamicly-linked binaries should be linked only to libraries they use
directly. Unnecessary library dependencies make library transitions
extremely hard for the release team.

See http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/11/msg00016.html

> >  There are also some lintian warnings that need to be fixed.
>
> Thanks. I was using an old version of lintian than hadn't picked these
> up. Fixed.

There are still:
I: libgtk2-imageview-perl source: xs-vcs-header-in-debian-control xs-vcs-svn
I: libgtk2-imageview-perl source: xs-vcs-header-in-debian-control xs-vcs-browser
W: libgtk2-imageview-perl: manpage-has-bad-whatis-entry usr/share/man/man3/Gtk2::ImageView::Tool.3pm.gz
W: libgtk2-imageview-perl: manpage-has-bad-whatis-entry usr/share/man/man3/Gtk2::ImageView::Tool::Painter.3pm.gz

I use lintian 1.23.46 and run it with "-i -I" options.

> Just as a matter of curiosity, is there an automatic way of having
> say, etch, with specific packages picked from sid so that apt-get,
> synaptic, etc. pick up the updates automatically?

Yes, one way is to "apt-get install -t unstable foo". Another is to use
pinning. see apt_preferences(5)

Best regards