Git for pkg-perl [was Re: Tools]

I play with the idea of migrating to Git all pkg-perl's packages for
some time, but still there are some blank spots. Perhaps this would be a
convenient time to discuss this possibility?

-=| Russ Allbery, Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 03:14:43PM -0800 |=-
> I still find it really important to be able to separate out individual
> changes to feed upstream when working with a CPAN package.  With quilt, I
> can do that.  With git, I can do that,

How?
(I am not saying it is impossible, but every time I try to imagine how
to do it, I reach a point where quilt seems far more convenient :)

> but the team isn't using git and
> doesn't have a git respository (and has a bunch of tools that need to know
> about the repository).

The tools are there to follow us, not the opposite :)

> With Subversion, I can't do that, so just making
> the modifications directly in Subversion looks really unappealing.  It
> adds to the upstream coordination work and makes it harder to cope with
> new versions for me.

Full ACK.

> Having used arch switch more now, and knowing that git's implementation of
> the same is way better, I'd be happy to generally switch to git.

These are the concerns I have about this. Please remember that I am in
favour of switching to Git, but there are details that I have trouble
with :)

* conversion from svn

  TTBOMLK (L=limited), git-svn can't help us here as we use a repository
  structure that is not that straight-forward. git-svn works best with:
    $SVN/ trunk/    (here the main line of development goes)
          branches/ (branches, one directory per branch)
          tags/     (and tags, one directory per tag)
  that is: one trunk, one place for all branches, one place for all
  tags.

  and we have (ignoring the multi-package "detail"):
    $SVN/ trunk/    (same as above)
          branches/
             upstream/
                 current/    (here's the "HEAD" of the upstream branch)
                 1.01/       (and these are "tags" of it)
                 1.02/
                 2.00/
             other branch1/  (possibly for backports, security,
             other branch2/   stable-updates etc)
          tags/              (these are the tags out of trunk)

  Perhaps there *is* a way to convert this, however it seems far from
  trivial to me.

* accounting (for a lack of better words)

  right now, one has to simply run "svn up" in a checked-out trunk/ and
  all packages are updated and new ones checked out. As Git would use
  one repository per package, we'll need some sort of "service area"
  where the list is kept.

* How are the patches to upstream sources managed (this is the "How?"
  question from the beginning of this mail.

* alioth

  Currently git.debian.org shows 776 repositories, this takes ~10s to
  show here, perhaps half of these being due to network traffic (~430K
  at approx. 1Mbit/s))
  Doubling this may not be well accepted by alioth admins

* developer addoption

  Although I am fine with Git, I am not sure about the others. Please
  speak up if this is a concern for you.