Re: Cleaning Uploaders -- a mistake?

On 12:38 Thu 17 Jan     , Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Damyan Ivanov dijo [Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 05:25:50PM +0200]:
> > Hi,
> > (...)
> > However, Xavier Oswald, who maintains a number of libauthen-*-perl
> > packages has objections on that last part. See the attached IRC log for
> > details.
> >
> > One approach out that I see is to revert the DM-part of the group policy
> > and instead refuse to use DM-Upload-Allowed in all our packages. AFAIK
> > it is set only for one package -- libdevice-cdio-perl and Tincho has not
> > yet taken advantage of it.
> >
> > Please comment.
>
> Hi,
>
> I tend to side with Xavier here - Maybe we took the wrong decision
> here. Maybe the best would have been just to state that our
> group-maintained packages _have_ enough vigilant upload-able DDs not
> to need DMs. So, we can keep everybody interested as uploader, and
> just disable x-dm-upload-allow (even include checks for it in our QA
> scripts).

Hi,

I just want to comment a little bit. Before DM everything was running fine and
when I have packaged something, I always found someone from the perl team for
doing the upload very fast into Debian.

The point is that for being a DD, DMs and NMs must show that they have packages
in Debian as maintainer or co-maintainer. If someone only want to work on perl
things in debian they will never have any packages in Debian and this is a
criteria for entering in the NM step. Damyan told me that Myon or someone else
from the desk could view activity in the svn or changelogs but I think that they
will not lose time for reading logs and commits before accepting someone for the
NM procedure.

Moreover I did all first version of libauthen-simple-foo-perl packages. And then
I saw that I'm even not co-maintainer anymore. It's a little bit sad since they
were my packages and Im taking care of them. I could have be maintainer of these
packages but I used the perl team for that since I think it was the right way to
work. I think if the perl team keep this policy, every DM and NM would keep perl
modules for their own, without using the perl team.

friendly,
--
  ,''`.  Xavier Oswald <x.oswald@free.fr>
 : :' :  GNU/LINUX Debian & Debian-Edu