Re: DM and pkg-perl (recap 1)

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 23:15:49 +0200, Damyan Ivanov wrote:

> This is an attempt to formulate some kind of a policy regarding the DMs
> and pkg-perl.

Thanks a lot!
I've been thinking about writing a summary but haven't managed to do
so yet; and a concrete proposal is even better :)

> It all starts when a DM asks for the addition of the DM-Upload: yes
> field to a package. When this happens, the targeted DD has to decide
> whether the DM can handle the package based on previous track record,
> seeking advise from others, whatever (s)he thinks is needed. Consulting
> the list may be good too.
>
> If the request is denied, nothing happens (except a sad DM perhaps).
> Explaination would be very nice of course.
>
> If the request is granted, then that DD removes all records from
> Uploaders that are neither a DD or the requesting DM and the
> package is uploaded.
>
> The above procedure fits also for adding a DM for a package that is
> already DM-enabled.

The procedure sounds quite reasonable to me in general.

A few thoughts:
* It wouldn't prevent a malicious DM from adding him/herself later to
  the Uploaders field; not that I think that would be a real problem,
  changes are easily reverted (and DM status too).
* I'm not sure if it scales if many DMs should ask many DDs for the
  inclusion; but that's probably more hypothetical.
* If I were a DM I wouldn't be sure which packages to ask upload
  rights for; but that's more of an "other people's problem" :)
* I think a short notice to the list after the change would be nice.

BTW: Might cleaning out the Uploaders field for all packages be a
good idea?

Anyway: IMO I think we could start with your proposed procedure.

 : :' :  debian: the universal operating system - http://www.debian.org/
   `-    NP: Jerry Lee Lewis: When The Saints Go Marching In