Re: ITP: libgtk2-ex-printdialog-perl - a pure-perl alternative to the Gnome2::Print libraries

-=| Jeffrey Ratcliffe, Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 10:25:35PM +0100 |=-
> On 20/11/2007, Damyan Ivanov <dmn@debian.org> wrote:
> > * You want to close the ITP bug in the changelog.
>
> I didn't open one, just posted the ITP.

Please open one then. This is a good practice in most cases. Avoids
duplicated work, gives all interested parties a chance to question the
package useability etc.

> > * Perhaps you can use author-independent URLs in debian/watch and
> >   debian/copyright like http://search.cpan.org/dist/Gtk2-Ex-PrintDialog/
> >   See for example libjavascript-perl. Also, I'd escape the dots in
> >   ".tar.gz"
>
> Done.

Almost. Try "uscan --report". Current watchfile version is 3, by the
way.

> > * debian/copyright
> >   + the years of copyright look strange to me. README says 2003,
> >     PrintDialog.pm says 2005. d/copyright says 2004-2005. If different
> >     files use different years of copyright, you should list these
> >     details in debian/copyright.
> >   + It would be nice if you add copyright and licensing information for
> >     the packaging. See dh-make-perl templates.
>
> Done.

Uhm. I guess the best way to explain what I mean is to write it down.
I've committed to SVN the changes I meant. Note I've copied the
copyright and licensing terms *verbatim*.

> > * debian/rules -- you really need to use some recent dh-make-perl
> >   template for this :)
> >   + patch target is unused. Also please, please give quilt a try :)
> >     There is a short guide[1] in group's pages.
> >   + OPTIMIZE="..." setting is useless
>
> The current rules.Makemaker.noxs also has this line. Can this ever be
> useful? I'm also not sure why the dh_strip would ever be useful.

You're right these are not useful. And you're wrong about the current
dh-make-perl templates. dh-make-perl 0.35 (from sid, this is what I'd
call "current" :)) doesn't have them.

> >   + Please move the test suite from install-stamp target to build-stamp
> >   + Please clean stamp files before invoking distclean
> >   + Please remove unused dh_* calls
> >   + README seems useless
>
> Done

Not yet :) Did you just copy over the dh-make-perl template? It is not
to be used "as is", it is just a template you need to tackle -- #TEST#
to be replaced with proper test suitr run, etc.

It certainly seems yoa haveu used an old version of dh-make-perl
templates.  For example, test suite is still run during install-stamp.

> > * debian/control:
> >   + debhelper build-dependency should be bumped
> >   + dpatch is not needed
> >   + the package fails to build in pbuilder chroot, which means there are
> >     missing build-time dependencies.
> >   + Binary package dependency field should use ${perl:Depends} instead
> >     of hard-coding the perl dependency
>
> Done
>
> I've committed the changes to svn

Thanks. Please address my comments above. And, I have one additional
comment:

debian/control declares
  Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 5), perl (>= 5.8.0), libgtk2-perl

You need only debhelper in build-depends. The others may live in
Build-Depends-Indep as they are no arch-dependent binary packages
produced. See Policy 7.6. debhelper is needed in Depends, because it is
used in the clean target.

Thank you for your work so far