Re: New Homepage field

gregor herrmann dijo [Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 01:43:55AM +0200]:
> As discussed on debian-devel@l.d.o dpkg is ready for the new
> Homepage: field in the source stanza of debian/control.
>
> dam and rmayorga and me have been discussing the idea of a "mass fix"
> for all packages in the repository, i.e. removing the pseudo-field
> from the Description (only a few packages) and adding the new field.
> I've hacked up a small and ugly (shell) script for that purpose, and
> it seems that it does it's job not too bad; the new field is
> constructed from http://search.cpan.org/dist/ + module name from
> Makefile.PL).
>
> Before I let it run over trunk:
> * Are there any general objections against using the new field?
> * Could someone take a look at the script (in our repo at
>   scripts/qa/homepagecheck)? Any improvements/re-writes welcome!
> * Is the approach for constructing the URL sane?
>
> Any other thoughts?

Not much of an issue, but still... Is the search.cpan.org page really
the homepage for our modules? _Do_ the modules have a homepage? Some
do, some don't. I'm not sure, as it's not a clearly defined concept -
But we do have the page where it was downloaded from (in debian/watch,
in debian/copyright). Those pages, in our case, are often
autogenerated, and contain information not different from what is
shipped in the packages themselves (i.e. author information,
reformatted documentation, download links...)

An example of a homepage for packages under our umbrella IMHO would be
http://pdfapi2.sourceforge.net/ or http://datetime.perl.org/ - Which
are quite different from http://search.cpan.org/dist/PDF-API2/ or
http://search.cpan.org/dist/DateTime/

Greetings,