Re: New Homepage field

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 16:49:39 -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:

> > * Is the approach for constructing the URL sane?
> Not much of an issue, but still... Is the search.cpan.org page really
> the homepage for our modules? _Do_ the modules have a homepage? Some
> do, some don't. I'm not sure, as it's not a clearly defined concept -
> But we do have the page where it was downloaded from (in debian/watch,
> in debian/copyright). Those pages, in our case, are often
> autogenerated, and contain information not different from what is
> shipped in the packages themselves (i.e. author information,
> reformatted documentation, download links...)

Unfortunately the existing information (in debian/copyright) is often
far from helpful or nothing new (in debian/watch most packages
references cpan, either the by-modules directories or (newer) the
search.cpan.org pages).
But I agree that in the case of a missing Homepage field the
contructed field misses some "real" homepages.

> An example of a homepage for packages under our umbrella IMHO would be
> http://pdfapi2.sourceforge.net/ or http://datetime.perl.org/ - Which
> are quite different from http://search.cpan.org/dist/PDF-API2/ or
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/DateTime/

I guess that's called "false positive" :)
Serious: Yup, if we go this way there will be some corrections
necessary after the first run.
Or even better: _before_ then the field is not changed :)

(libpdf-api2-perl fixed, http://datetime.perl.org/ doesn't exist)

 : :' :  debian: the universal operating system - http://www.debian.org/
   `-    NP: Beach Boys: California Girl