Re: Maintainer field

On Sat, 19 May 2007 05:18:42 +0200, gregor herrmann wrote:

> I took the opportunity to check the Maintainer: and Uploaders: fields
> in the packages in our repo. Here's a list of the packages where
> Maintainer: is not set to
> "Debian Perl Group <pkg-perl-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>":

Sorry for the delay in following up on this issue and thanks for all
replies. I'm trying to summarize them:

On Sat, 19 May 2007 10:27:20 +0200, Bart Martens wrote:

> I suggest that you ask explicit permission from the person in the
> "Maintainer:" field before doing this change.

Sure, I'll cc the affected persons now.

On Mon, 21 May 2007 10:46:50 +0200, Krzysztof Krzy?aniak wrote:

> >libcompress-raw-zlib-perl
> >Maintainer: Krzysztof Krzyzaniak (eloy) <eloy@debian.org>
> >
> >libdata-serializer-perl
> >Maintainer: Krzysztof Krzyzaniak (eloy) <eloy@debian.org>
> >(not in the archive)
>
> These two I am preparing now. Eventually they will be Debian Perl
> Group packages.

Alright, thanks, so we have a solution here.

On Tue, 22 May 2007 21:18:17 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> On Sat, 19 May 2007, gregor herrmann wrote:
> > I suggest that we:
> > * exchange (or set) the Maintainer: and Uploaders: field for all
> >   packages that have the DPG in Uploaders and/or have a member of
> >   the
> >   DPG as Maintainer: to M: DPG and U: $individuals (that would be
> >   most of the packages listed above).
>
> We already had this discussion once.

Sorry for making a classical "newbie mistake" ;-)

> I don't agree with this. I
> think it's wise to list someone as maintainer and the team in the
> Uploaders in particular when that someone has been maintaining that
> package long before the team even existed.
>
> I'm perfectly happy with people working on my packages, thus they
> are in the team but in the end, I want to be listed as maintainer
> so that I feel responsible to keep them in a good shape.

That's perfectly ok for me too, thanks for the clarification!

> > * move the packages that are maintained by someone else to
> >   ./packages/attic because they only lead to confusion (at least
> >   on my side ;-)) - i.e. libimager-perl and
> >   libtext-vfile-asdata-perl.
> Sure, but the good thing to do is invite those people in the team.
> :-)

Right ;-)

Looking at my original (and checking back with our svn repo) that
leaves us with (sorted by maintainer):

> libuser-simple-perl
> Maintainer: Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@debian.org>
>
> libnet-lite-ftp-perl
> Maintainer: Alexis Sukrieh <sukria@debian.org>
> Uploaders: Debian Perl Group <pkg-perl-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
>
> libnet-amazon-s3-perl
> Maintainer: Alexis Sukrieh <sukria@debian.org>
> Uploaders: Debian Perl Group <pkg-perl-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
> (not in the archive)
>
> libxml-libxml-xpathcontext-perl
> Maintainer: Alexis Sukrieh <sukria@debian.org>
> (not in the archive)
>
> liblogger-syslog-perl
> Maintainer: Alexis Sukrieh <sukria@debian.org>
> Uploaders: Debian Perl Group <pkg-perl-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
>
> libidna-punycode-perl
> Maintainer: Kjetil Kjernsmo (Work key) <kjetilk@opera.com>
> (not in the archive)
>
> libwordnet-querydata-perl
> Maintainer: Kjetil Kjernsmo (Work key) <kjetilk@opera.com>
> (not in the archive)

Gunnar, Alexis, Kjetil - could you please comment on the idea of
having the Maintainer field set to the DPG for these packages (and
maybe on the status of the not uploaded package while we're at it
;-))

> libimager-perl
> Maintainer: Jay Bonci <jaybonci@debian.org>

If I understand #421582 correctly Jay has (1) uploaded a new version
and (2) is "willing to give this package up or co-maint it if
necessary." At the moment there is no Uploader listed; Jay, may I
suggest that your package and you join our Group? (No problem if you
don't like the idea; in that case I'd move the package away in the
repo.)

> libtext-vfile-asdata-perl
> Maintainer: Kjetil Kjernsmo <kjetil@kjernsmo.net>
> (archive: Maintainer: Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org>)

I still have no idea what this package is doing in our repository;
looking at the svn log (injected by Kjetil on 2006-12-01) and the
package's ITP/changelog (ITP'd by Neil on 2007-01-04, uploaded on
2007-01-09) it seems that Kjetil started to package it but Neil
correctly ITP'd it, uploaded it and now maintains it. - Kjetil, Neil,
is this correct?
If so I'll move it to attic/ - unless Neil joins our friendly group
of course ;-)

 : :' :  debian: the universal operating system - http://www.debian.org/
   `-    NP: Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds: There She Goes, My Beautiful World