Re: New perl-apps group

Julian Mehnle dijo [Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 05:01:47PM +0000]:
> Jeremiah Foster wrote:
> > Martín Ferrari wrote:
> > > First of all, it is the policy of the group to only package modules.
> > > And yes, I think there are many differences regarding packaging;
> > > modules are much more straightforward.
> >
> > A module is much easier to package than a large cgi app written in perl
> > for example, so I think there is a distinction. [...]
>
> How does code size play into it?  There are large Perl modules as well as
> small Perl apps.

I don't think code size is a defining criteria, as you say... But
complexity is. I am not scared at co-maintaining the current hundreds
of Perl modules, as the Debian-specific problems that arise from them
are quite similar - But I would not dream about maintaining hundreds
of applications.

Applications are just too different between each other - I would not
even advocate creating a group with such a broad target. i.e., I'd be
qualified, I think, to work on Web-based applications. But well, I
know that CGI-based applications are straightforward but extremely
sucky, while mod_perl are a completely different beast, and harder to
set up. And embperl applications offer the best and worst of both
worlds ;-) And then again, I've never used CGI::Application, Catalyst,
Jifty, or any of the other frameworks - which not only require you to
code a certain way, but like to be installed in different fashions.

Console-based applications? Sure, no problem. Of course, you have to
learn sometimes some Curses::UI to fix some stuff, but that's
upstream work, right? Ok, and GUI? Well, please don't get me started
on Tk. Gtk (+glade) or Qt or wx... Well, I just don't know them.

Anyway: The pkg-perl group works IMHO in great part because there is
so much common ground between our packages. But making a group for
Perl applications in general makes as much sense to me as making a
group for Gtk applications in general.

Greetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23