dh-make-perl error: Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///)

I am trying to adopt libcdk-perl. When trying to build the package with dh-make-perl I get the error that dh-make-perl "Cannot find a description for the package: use the --desc switch"

However I am using the --desc switch like this: dh-make-perl -e jeremiah@jeremiahfoster.com --desc "Perl interface to Curses Development Library"

dh-make-perl then repeats the previous message, along with this:
Found: Cdk 4.09010 (libcdk-perl arch=all)
Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at /usr/bin/dh-make- perl line 598.
[ . . . ]
Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at /usr/bin/dh-make- perl line 598.

Line 598 of dh-make-perl (the latest version, I pulled it from subversion, but I received this error with the version I downloaded with apt-get as well) reads like this:

# Replace linefeeds (not followed by a space) in $desc with spaces
        $desc =~ s/\n(?=\S)/ /gs;

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is this a bug I should file?

Thanks,

	Jeremiah