Re: by-author vs. by-module URLs in debian/watch

Damyan Ivanov dijo [Sun, Aug 05, 2007 at 11:33:11AM +0300]:
> During the hacking of versioncheck.pl. I noticed that debian/watch files
> of our packages contain by-author and by-module CPAN directories in a
> semi-random fashion.
>
> I think, we should stick with by-module usage.
>
> Why: because otherwise uscan would miss when newer version is available
> from different author.
>
> Wny not: by-module directories are usually longer. This would increase
> the load on CPAN mirrors (slightly) and the DEHS machine (more
> important, I guess). The versioncheck.pl's performance would not be
> affected by the change (same for alioth).
>
> I can make the change group-wide, although, I prefer to do this with
> group agreement. :)

I completely agree - In fact, I've done _some_ of those changes,
usually when first adopting a package. I do find more important the
correctness of the information given by by-module than a small extra
penalty that comes from managing a large directory; modules'
maintainership can be transferred between CPAN maintainers, and
tracking an inactive author is not fun :)

...Anyway, I would expect main CPAN mirrors to have the directories
cached, and the rendered pages are not so massive as to swamp DEHS
either. Oh, and I think DEHS might (should?) also be caching them, as
many modules are at the same directories.

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23