Re: pkg-perl TODO: SVN, archive, upstream, etc versions

-=| gregor herrmann, 20.07.2007 18:33 |=-
> On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 17:52:35 +0300, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
>
>>> Just do it :-)
>> Partly done. See versioncheck.pl and Common.pl.

http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/qa/versions-wip.html

OK, it is now almost complete. The resulting list has no items that
should not be there. It caches most of the information, so invoking it
twice in a row is really fast (<10s in warn caches). Mimics uscan's
functionality for CPAN modules, including version mangling, sf.net
workaround etc.

About the caches: several things are really huge to download/parse so
the script saves Storable cache of them in ~/.dpg/versioncheck/. These are:
 - package lists for unstable, stable, oldstable and experimental
   Cache expires in 6h (1 week for stable/oldstable)

 - ls-lR.gz file from CPAN -- 3.6M download and takes some time to parse
   expires in 12h

Things not cached:
 - incoming.debian.org
 - NEW
 - uscan-like operations on non-CPAN modules (two out of 360)

I am thinking about
 (1) using this instead of versioncheck-html
 (2) making it run more often. I am not certain how often and have some
     doubts about cache expiration times, which are more-or-less
     arbitrary now. please suggest
 (3) rewriting maintainercheck and wnppcheck too
     maintainercheck now runs for 14s, which is simply ages :)
     wnpp can't be made quicker, I guess, since it depends on
     bugs.debian.org/wnpp, which is not that fast. Perhaps try
     www.debian.org/devel/wnpp ? Or the SOAP interface?