Re: Subversion repository layout

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 14:08:25 -0400, Joey Hess wrote:

> > I'm just not very happy with svn-inject; first you have to get it
> > right from where to run it (probably above the ./trunk directory) and
> > where to import to (probably to the "root" of the test-repo);
> It doesn't seem to matter where you run it from. For example, I ran:
> joey@kodama:~>./svn-inject -l 2 -c 0 lib/debian/unstable/libtime-human-perl_1.03-1.dsc svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-perl/test-repo/
> This worked as I would expect, producing trunk/libtime-human-perl in the test
> repo.

Ok, so my "only" error was to import into test-repo/trunk/ at my
first try.

> > but then it checks out the injected package to the current directory (I
> > guess that's your #434821).
> I should have re-read the man page before filing that. (-c 0)

Oh, I haven't seen that, too.

> > The tarballs directory on the top level looks basically okay (if all
> > builders called by svn-buildpackage find it; I'm not quite sure when
> > it works and when it doesn't; probably an issue of .svn/deb-layout
> > ...);
> Note that tarballs are not included in svn by default.
> Nothing about tarballs should be changed by the changed layout AFAICS.

Ack.
It's just about the svn-* tools which use them.

> > Maybe something like debian/svn-layout or setting the properties (cf.
> > `man svn-buildpackage') might be helpful. [0]
> >
> > [0]
> > $ cat debian/svn-deblayout
> > buildArea=../../build-area
> > origDir=../../tarballs
>
> The defaults are ../build-area and ../tarballs. That works ok if you have
> pkg-perl/trunk checked out and run svn-buildpackage in
> pkg-perl/trunk/somepackage/. Put the tarballs directory in
> pkg-perl/trunk/tarballs/, which is where svn-inject puts it if you run
> svn-inject from pkg-perl/trunk.

Ack, I just think that trunk/build-area and trunk/tarballs is ugly
because it's in the working copy directory although it's not in svn.
That's why I'd prefer to have them one level up.

That's of course a personal preference/problem but I guess other
regular users of the svn-* tool will get bitten, too :-)

Another test:

svn-pkg-perl-test$ svn-inject -l 2 -t ./tarballs/ -c 0 libio-compress-base-perl/libio-compress-base-perl_2.005-1.dsc svn://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-perl/test-repo/

  No checkout, tarball in ./tarballs

svn-pkg-perl-test$ cd trunk/
svn-pkg-perl-test/trunk$ svn up
[..]
  Ok, ./libio-compress-base-perl get created.

svn-pkg-perl-test/trunk$ cd libio-compress-base-perl
svn-pkg-perl-test/trunk/libio-compress-base-perl$ dch -i
[..]

svn-pkg-perl-test/trunk/libio-compress-base-perl$ debcommit

  Ok.

svn-pkg-perl-test/trunk/libio-compress-base-perl$ svn-buildpackage --svn-override=buildArea=../../build-area,origDir=../../tarballs
(using debuild)

  Ok.

svn-pkg-perl-test/trunk/libio-compress-base-perl$ svn-buildpackage --svn-tag-only

  Ok.

Hm, yes, I think finally I have understood it/got it to work.

Thanks for your help!

 : :' :  debian: the universal operating system - http://www.debian.org/
   `-    NP: Tracy Chapman: Smoke And Ashes