Re: pkg-perl TODO: SVN, archive, upstream, etc versions

On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 05:52:48PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jul 2007, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> > There is a perl implementation in debbugs (available in the bzr). I already copied
> > that in dpkg's SVN and hope to fix it up to make it available as a
> > re-usable perl module. But it isn't completly there yet.
>
> It's actually a reusable perl module now; there's no dependency on
> debbugs within it.

Indeed. I was being imprecise. What I would like to add is an
alternative interface that works like --compare-versions
(i.e. operator given explicetly, bool result) since I find that
easier to read. And some more extensive documentation (essentially
I would like to have a documentation of the dpkg version comparison
algorithm available outside policy).

But you are right, it is quite usable as it is.

> The alternative is to use AptPkg::Version::compare (which is what
> debbugs can use when it's available.)

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>