Re: Including dh-make-perl as part of the group's packages?

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 24.10.2006, 12:43 -0500 schrieb Gunnar Wolf:
> I am currently the maintainer for dh-make-perl, but I'm quite sad I've
> been neglecting it. As you have noticed, I have been through several
> busy cycles at work recently - and I was thinking on filing an RFA on
> it, but I think it'd be natural for the pkg-perl group to adopt it.
>
> So, what do you say? Should I import it, and then some trivial patches
> will go quickly in? It could perfectly fit within packages/, as
> nothing denotes the difference between modules and otherstuff :)

I’ve been quite inactive in the DPG, but my advice is still available…

We have to note that dh-make-perl maintenance is fundamentally different
than lib-*-perl maintenance: Maintaining Perl Modules usually involves
no development, little “difficult” work and mostly routine work.
Maintaining dh-make-perl is a different thing: Here actually develpement
is required, which means more work and more responsibility. Can the
Group do that?

OTOH, the Group is probably the most frequent user of the tool, and
(after svn-buildpackage) it might be our most important tool. From that
aspect, both could profit very much from it. Didn’t like something
dh-make-perl just did? Just fix it yourself, and upload a new version
along the module.

We should definitely have a few who say that they will feel at least a
bit responsible for dh-make-perl, so that it does not end up as a corpse
in the SVN.

Greetings from Ghana,
Joachim

--