Re: PWD -> CURDIR

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 05:21:06PM +0200, gregor herrmann wrote:

> > > A short grep shows that PWD is also used in the following packages:
> > > I guess this should be fixed too?!
> > Yes. For arch-dependent packages, this is a time bomb [..]
> > I'll file serious bugs for these shortly.
> > The issue is not quite as serious for the 32 remaining arch-independent
> > packages on the list, but they certainly should be fixed too.
>
> Alright, thanks for your effort.
> Are you going to fix these bugs, too? Do you need any help?
> I'd just like to avoid duplication of work ...

Sure, all help is welcome. Thanks. I don't think duplication of work
is too probable, at least if people do 'svn commit' often enough (or
at least once when they start working on a package and increment the
version in the changelog.)

FWIW, I have written a small script that compares the Packages files on
different architectures and warns if their sizes differ significantly. I
caught libtext-csv-perl, libset-object-perl and libplot-perl this way;
libopengl-perl got past the current thresholds.

There are about ten more packages (not maintained by the Debian Perl
Group) on my list that need investigation. These are also mostly sudo
issues. I think tuning the thresholds might yield some more.

For arch-indepent packages, and those arch-dependent packages that have
not been built yet after the sudo environment cleaning change (early
2006), there's no way to detect these problems on the binary package
level. As $(PWD) seems to be the most common mistake, it might be a good
idea to put a lintian check for that.

I guess I'll have to file a lintian bug for this.

Niko Tyni	ntyni@iki.fi