Re: Reorganizing our repository

Gustavo Franco dijo [Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 03:00:37PM -0300]:
> >It's been a while since I last made a complete 'svn up' from our base
> >repository. We have now 197 packages in main [1], and looking quickly,
> >we seem to have 220 packages in our repository [2]. Operations become
> >long.
> >
> >How would you feel towards moving to a structure similar to the pools
> >in the Debian archive? We could add one more level to the archive,
> >separating according to the module's first letter:
>
> I agree, and i think (hopefully) Debian Python Modules Team will
> benefit of this experience in the near future. If you plan to write a
> script for the move, we could contact the costa admins first and
> coordinate the run (date and time), i'm not sure it's a cheap move
> (probably not) in svn.

Yes, it's wise to check with them first :) However, being us Debian
guys spread all over the world and with different work habits, 'date
and time' means little.  However, the script would look +- like:

cd pkg-perl/packages
for letter in a b c d e f g ...
  do
    mkdir $letter
    svn move lib${letter}*-perl $letter/
  done
svn commit

I'm sure it will be quite an expensive move. I think the best way will
be to make it from costa itself - although the machine is not very
large (and our repository is), and it will surely be felt by anybody
using its services :-/

Greetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23