Re: request-tracker3.4 available for adoption

Hi,

Just saw this on the weekly news...

On Thu, 4 May 2006 12:42:51 +0100, Stephen Quinney wrote:
> I have come to the conclusion that I do not have the time to maintain
> the request-tracker3.4 package any more. I have recently changed job
> and am no longer directly using it at work so there's no time there
> for working on the packaging of new versions and bug fixing.
>
> If you are interested in maintaining this package there's a few
> criteria I think should be considered first:
>
> Are you regularly using request-tracker (preferably with admin
> privileges)?

For a living, I work on an GPL-ed app that "borgs" a slightly-modified
RT (currently 3.4.4, I should import 3.4.5 soon), including it as a
component along with other stuff.  I have about a dozen installs live
that actively use the RT component, give or take.

I also contributed a bunch to the v2 development way back, and I wrote a
trivial SMTP daemon for use in conjunction with RT (curious to hear what
other folks do for this situation): http://420.am/_smtpd/ and
downloadable with apt-line "deb http://420.am/~ivan/freeside-sarge/ ./"

I don't currently use the Debian request-tracker3.4 package itself, but
I have standardized on Debian as a platform for work stuff and I'm very
intersted in working on the package with the goal of moving to it soon.

> Are you a reasonably good perl programmer?

I have some pretty embarassing code out there, but I'd like to
think I've gotten better over the years... :)

> Are you really willing to spend the necessary time on a fairly big
> package with quite a lot of users, not all of which have as much clue
> as they think they have?

As with the other responders, I don't really have the time to go it
alone, but I'm quite interested in working with a team.

> There's various things I would have liked to add to the package such
> as debconf support and a more automated install/configure in general.
>
> If several people are interested in maintaining this package I'd
> strongly recommend joining forces and working as a team so a bit of
> effort can be put into improving the packaging.

I'm also quite interested in working on packaging and automation that
can be generalized for mod_perl/Mason/SQL webapps in general (or even
webapps in general).

I see there's already two Alioth projects for RT, with names "rt" and
"request-tracker".  Neither looks active, so unless anyone has any huge
objections, why don't we go ahead and use
https://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-request-tracker/
for collaberative RT maintenance?

Matt, Jaime, could you add me as a developer to the request-tracker
project?  My Alioth/Debian username is "ivan".

How about we start by setting up a mailing list for RT-specific stuff
rather than using debian-perl (I know the more focused a mailing list
the more likely I am to be able to follow it in my limited time), and
putting our packaging in Alioth CVS or SVN?

--
_ivan