Re: ITP: libevent-rpc-perl -- Event based transparent Client/Server RPC framework

> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006, gregor herrmann wrote:

>> There are still 2 questions/issues both concerning debian/rules:
>>
>> * lintian reported character problems in the manpages caused by the
>>   character 'ö' in the author's name. I inserted
>>     sed -i -e 's/ö/\\\[:o\]/' $(TMP)/usr/share/man/man3/*
>>   in the install-stamp target and the results look good.  Is this a
>>   correct approach?

> This is clearly a temporary approach ... the right fix is always to fix
> it upstream. In this case I think it's pod2man that needs to be fixed
> (unless there's a way to fix that in the .pm directly but I doubt that).

> => check the BTS for bugs on pod2man about that and maybe fill one if you
> can't find any

Putting on my pod2man upstream maintainer hat, please note that I cannot
apply the same transformation upstream because \[:o] is a groff-specific
escape that will cause the generated *roff to not work on non-Linux
platforms.

pod2man unfortunately cannot generally produce the right accented
characters since there is no portable way to do so.  The above is not a
bad solution.  Another alternative that will avoid the warning is to
change the literal ISO 8859-1 character to an E<> escape in the POD, but
the result won't have a nicely accented character.  Equivalently, you
should be able to put:

=encoding iso8859-1

at the start of the POD text, but that only works with a pod2man new
enough to use Pod::Simple, which is newer than the version in the current
Perl stable release and hence newer than what's in Debian unstable.