Re: Man page ASCII code escaping (HTML and roff format)?

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 03:54:37PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> You can't yet.  For right now, you unfortunately have to use E<ouml> and
> then the result from man won't be quite what you want (although it will
> make nroff happy).  This is waiting on me to find some cycles to work on
> adding a flag to Pod::Man that says, basically, "I'm using groff and you
> can therefore stick Unicode in the nroff output and I won't explode."

Unicode input to groff is still unspecified and doesn't work properly,
and ISO-8859-1 isn't recommended; I'm afraid you still have to use named
characters. Pod::Man could do something like this though:

.ie \n(.g \[odieresis]
.el what it does now

... although I realise that that doesn't fit exceptionally well with the
way Pod::Man handles accents at the moment. Still, if that could be
shoehorned in then it would mean the resulting documents stayed more
portable, as \n(.g is a pretty safe run-time test for groff.