Re: Man page ASCII code escaping (HTML and roff format)?

Jay Bonci <jay@bonci.com> writes:

> I'm staring this lintian warning in the face in the newest libwww-perl
> package I'm uploading today:

> W: libwww-perl: manpage-has-errors-from-man
> usr/share/man/man3/LWP.3pm.gz 643: warning: can't find numbered
> character 246

> Now, it's got to do with international characters inside of the credits
> section of the manpage. Do you have any idea how to change E<ouml> into
> an ö on the terminal with man instead of a raw HTML entity?

You can't yet.  For right now, you unfortunately have to use E<ouml> and
then the result from man won't be quite what you want (although it will
make nroff happy).  This is waiting on me to find some cycles to work on
adding a flag to Pod::Man that says, basically, "I'm using groff and you
can therefore stick Unicode in the nroff output and I won't explode."
That flag/option can then be enabled unconditionally for Debian and
everyone will be happy.

Unfortunately, nroff programs on other operating systems have a tendency
to choke and die if given anything other than ASCII, and even if they can
handle non-ASCII characters, they assume that anything outside the ASCII
range is in the native character set, whatever that might happen to be.