Man page ASCII code escaping (HTML and roff format)?

Hey guys,
	I'm staring this lintian warning in the face in the newest libwww-perl
package I'm uploading today:

W: libwww-perl: manpage-has-errors-from-man
usr/share/man/man3/LWP.3pm.gz 643: warning: can't find numbered
character 246

Now, it's got to do with international characters inside of the credits
section of the manpage. Do you have any idea how to change E<ouml> into
an ö on the terminal with man instead of a raw HTML entity?

I've left it as is for now, but am interested if anyone has a solution.

-jay