Re: Why aren't the actual module names in the package descriptions?

--- Kenneth Pronovici <pronovic@debian.org> wrote:

> > So my questions to this list are:
> >
> > 1. Why doesn't the "apt-cache show" description usually list the
> > module names? (I see that it *is* properly listed for, say, the
> > libtext-template-perl package.)
>
> Careful with that word "properly".  :)

Yes, I see. That sentence would've been shorter and more clear
without that extra word. :)

> I think that quite a few Debian Perl packages do list the module name in
> their package description.  I've done it in most of my Perl packages
> over the past few years.  However, there are going to be some CPAN
> packages (large ones, I mean) for which it is kind of impractical to
> list all of the provided modules in the package description.
>
> So, one possible answer to your question is that it wasn't really
> practical in this case.  Another is that the Debian packager didn't
> think it was worthwhile.  As an example, I don't personally think it is
> worthwhile for my own libxmltv-perl package.

Well, regarding libxmltv-perl, I see from here:
http://packages.debian.org/stable/perl/libxmltv-perl
there are two relevant links:

http://membled.com/work/apps/xmltv/
and
http://packages.qa.debian.org/x/xmltv.html

but it doesn't look like *either* page lists which Perl modules
you get when you install this package.

Here, searching CPAN:
http://search.cpan.org/search?query=xmltv&mode=all
yields zero results.

How can your users find out which Perl modules come with
your Debian package (without actually installing it to find
out)?

>[snip]
>
> > 3. (though this might be off-topic here) Why does CPAN use that
> > "MailTools" name? Why is it grouping those Mail::* modules that
> > way?
>
> A CPAN package is just a grouping of Perl modules.  Typically, the
> grouped-together modules are related to each other in some way, and the
> name of the CPAN package reflects this.  However, as with any library,
> both the grouping of modules and the name of the library could be
> essentially arbitrary.

Ah. Didn't know there was such a thing as "CPAN packages". Thanks. :)

---John

http://farechase.yahoo.com