Re: Why aren't the actual module names in the package descriptions?

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005, John M. Gabriele wrote:
> Last week I needed Mail::Mailer on a Debian Woody machine, and
> wanted to use apt-get to install it.
>
>     apt-cache search perl | grep -i mailer
>
> returns nothing (on Woody *or* Sarge).

This is the wrong way to search for specific modules, unfortunatly.

Do this instead:

aptitude install apt-file; apt-file update; apt-file search Mail/Mailer;

or:

visit packages.debian.org and search by package contents.

> 1. Why doesn't the "apt-cache show" description usually list the
> module names? (I see that it *is* properly listed for, say, the
> libtext-template-perl package.)

Developers have in certain instances, but some packages contain
thousands of modules:

$ dpkg -L libmail-box-perl|grep '.pm$'|wc -l
117

FE. [Which is probably the module you really want to use if you wrote
this perl code.]

> 3. (though this might be off-topic here) Why does CPAN use that
> "MailTools" name? Why is it grouping those Mail::* modules that way?

Because that's what the author calls the package.

> It seems to me that it should be standard practice to list in a Perl
> package's description exactly which modules it is supplying.

For smaller sets of modules, yes. But in some of the larger cases, it
can't be done sanely. That's what apt-file and packages.debian.org is
for.

Don Armstrong

--
Identical parts aren't.