Re: Why aren't the actual module names in the package descriptions?

> So my questions to this list are:
>
> 1. Why doesn't the "apt-cache show" description usually list the
> module names? (I see that it *is* properly listed for, say, the
> libtext-template-perl package.)

Careful with that word "properly".  :)

I think that quite a few Debian Perl packages do list the module name in
their package description.  I've done it in most of my Perl packages
over the past few years.  However, there are going to be some CPAN
packages (large ones, I mean) for which it is kind of impractical to
list all of the provided modules in the package description.

So, one possible answer to your question is that it wasn't really
practical in this case.  Another is that the Debian packager didn't
think it was worthwhile.  As an example, I don't personally think it is
worthwhile for my own libxmltv-perl package.

Besides all that, Policy (AFAIK) doesn't require this, so there's
nothing forcing a developer to do it.

> 2. Given that you know the module you'd like to install, how, in-
> general, can you get apt-cache to tell you which package to install?

I would typically go to CPAN, search for the module name, see what CPAN
package the module is in, and search for the appropriate Debian package
using apt-cache.  The Debian package name should always map directly to
the CPAN package name, so this should be fairly easy to accomplish.

> 3. (though this might be off-topic here) Why does CPAN use that
> "MailTools" name? Why is it grouping those Mail::* modules that
> way?

A CPAN package is just a grouping of Perl modules.  Typically, the
grouped-together modules are related to each other in some way, and the
name of the CPAN package reflects this.  However, as with any library,
both the grouping of modules and the name of the library could be
essentially arbitrary.

I haven't looked at this case in particular, but I would imagine that
the upstream author thinks that the MailTools CPAN package provides a
sensible grouping of related Perl modules.  I personally think MailTools
is a fine name for a package that provides, well, mail tools.

Does that help?

KEN

--
Kenneth J. Pronovici <pronovic@debian.org>