Re: libdbd-sqlite-perl and libdbd-sqlite2-perl

On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 09:58:21AM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

 > But note that a) the Depends for BeanCounter is an optional one:
 >    libdbd-pg-perl | libdbd-mysql-perl | libdbd-odbc-perl | libdbd-sqlite-perl

 Ok, but the libdbd-sqlite-perl alternative needs to be changed to
 either libdbd-sqlite2-perl or libdbd-sqlite2-perl | libdbd-sqlite3-perl

 > and b) BeanCounter can probably work with SQLite 3 as well.  I have
 > yet to test that, though.  Is there a summary page of what needs to
 > do to migrate from 2 to 3?

 In my experience, nothing.  The SQLite 3 API has been extended, and the
 backend supports new functionality.  The on-disk format is
 incompatible.  Other than this, existing programs should be able to
 migrate without problems (beyond the DBD::SQLite2 vs DBD::SQLite thing
 that is)

 > |  We need to move these to libdbd-sqlite2-perl ASAP.  Please note
 > |  that  this means your packages needs to use "DBD::SQLite2" instead
 > |  of "DBD::SQLite".
 >
 > That is really yucky. I am upstream of BeanCounter too, and I'd hate
 > to split it this way.

 Yes, it is.  It's the way upstream "handles" the transition.  Note that
 the problem is that just upgrading DBD::SQLite to the newer release
 will fail because SQLite 2 databases can't be read by SQLite 3.

--
Marcelo