Re: Lintian warnings for manpage-section-mismatch in perl packages

Jay Bonci dijo [Tue, May 04, 2004 at 05:39:04AM -0400]:
> (Please cc me in replies. Thanks)
>
> I am curious as if there is any consensus as how to handle the
> manpage-section-mismatch warnings inside of lintian.  Because of perl
> policy creating .3pm packages for .3 manpages, the warning is thrown (it
> checks the .TH header inside of the roff macro)

Strange that the same topic comes unexpectedly twice in 24hr! :) [1]

> There are a few options, and I wanted to get some opinions before I go
> filing bugs.
>
> a) File overrides with every perl package. This might be an option, but
> it seems awful tedious. This warning shows with two of my packages, I
> assume every one other of them, or as a consequence of how I'm packaging
> them (libcarp-assert-perl now throws this warning where previously it
> did not)
>
> b) Create a special-case within lintian so that 3pm/3perl is the same
> thing as 3

Those would not be right, as it would be a policy violation. Perl
manual pages are -for Debian- still library pages, and deserve a .3
extension. And (sigh) I just checked my other packages, they all have
.3pm pages

(update before sending the mail - No, that's not right! The current
Perl policy mandates that man pages for modules have .3perl
extension. Now... I just checked all of the Perl modules I have
installed, and the man pages are all .3pm, never .3perl - Just
checking here quickly... I think we need to correct policy and ask the
Lintian maintainers to reflect this! (and I need to correct
yesterday's package :-/ )

> c) Fix podfile generation inside of ExtUtils::MM_Any:
>

> 374a375
> >       my $sectionname = $self->{"MAN${section}EXT"};
> 376c377
> <       \$(NOECHO) \$(POD2MAN) --section=$section --perm_rw=\$(PERM_RW)
> ---
> >       \$(NOECHO) \$(POD2MAN) --section=$sectionname
> --perm_rw=\$(PERM_RW)
>
> That seems to work for me, but I have no idea of what the other
> consequences of this trivial fix would be.
>
> Any suggestions would be helpful before I officially mention something
> to the lintian-maint crew or file a bug.

This looks nice. What I did in the last package I worked with
(libperl6-export-perl - Still pending to enter unstable) was to
specify 'MAN3EXT=3' to Makefile.PL. Allard suggested [2] it would be
cleaner to give this parameter to make itself - I just tested his
suggestion, and the package builds correctly (Lintian does not
complain) and the warning I was getting from MakeMaker is gone.

Still, I agree that this manual intervention in _every_ package could
be better served by modifying ExtUtils::MM_Any as you suggested.

Greetings,

----
[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2004/05/msg00009.html

[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2004/05/msg00011.html