Re: tag vs. rtag

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 03:52:53PM +0100, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> I'm not totally sure about this, but it looks this way:
>
> If you delete files, and then retag your sourcedir with "cvs tag -F
> debian_version_x-y", then the deleted file will keep it's tag on the
> revision where it wasn't deleted yet, so it will be in the distribution
> once you do cvs-buildpackage. So, to get rid of that file, it seems to
> be the only way to run "cvs rtag -a -F debian_version_x-y lib...perl"
> (where lib...perl is the package name as it appears in CVSROOT/modules).
> Only rtag supports the "-a" flag to look also at files in the Attic.
>
> I updated pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/cvs.txt to reflect that.
>
> Is that right? maybe someone here knows CVS better than me (which is
> very likely, I started to lean it about 5 days ago) and tells us a
> better way.

I think I'm missing something. Why are you doing all this retagging?
Semantically, tags are not supposed to move once you lay them down,
although CVS supports a few means of getting round that in case of
mistakes.

The debian_version tag really shouldn't be applied until you're just
about to make the upload.