Re: Manual pages

On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 11:34:23PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
>Brendan O'Dea <bod@debian.org> wrote:
[...]
>>This has changed in -21, the module extension is now ".3perl" as man-db
>>was choosing open(3) over open(2).
>
>This won't help the "competing extensions" problem, of course ... I
>suspect such warnings are unavoidable when core and vendor man pages are
>installed simultaneously.

Not in the case of core+vendor (which I agree is unavoidable), but in
this specific case I was suggesting he install updated modules in
/usr/local.  I would guess that warning is not issued when the pages are
in different directories (but I could be wrong).

>If you're going to namespace the core Perl man pages, changing .1 to
>.1perl as well would make sense. Note that man-db has a hard-coded list
>of known extension orderings; I take it .1perl and .3perl should follow
>.1p and .3pm?

Not really.  The section 1 pages in general describe programs, and I
don't see that a distinction between perl programs and those implemented
in other languages is required.  Modules on the other hand are somewhat
different to library functions.

Regards,
--
Brendan O'Dea                                        bod@compusol.com.au
Compusol Pty. Limited                  (NSW, Australia)  +61 2 9810 3633